Begun by Bishop Dupanloup, a preparatory investigation was continued at Orleans from 1874 to 1888; and the cause was introduced at Rome, under Leo XIII, in January, 1894. In the examination of the heroicity of Joan's virtues, came up the question of the abjuration at Rouen. That it was no real abjuration was admitted by the Congregation of Rites in November, 1901; and the decree of heroicity was published under Pius X in 1904. The proof of the three required miracles was admitted in December, 1908. The first in order of presentation was the instantaneous cure at Orleans in 1900 of a Benedictine, Sister Teresa, after a novena made in honor of Joan of Are. The nun suffered from ulcer of the stomach for three years, and was at the point of death. The second occurred in 1893 in the little town of Faverolles, in the diocese of Evreux. Sister Julie, of the Sisters of Providence, suffering greatly from ulcer of the breast, was carried to the church to invoke Joan of Arc, and was cured the same day. The third miracle happened in Fruges, a small town in the diocese of Arras.
Sister Jeanne Marie, of the Congregation of the Holy Famioy, was afflicted with hopeless tuberculosis of the bones. On the fifth day of her prayer to Joan she was cured.
It was on the Feast of the Holy Family, January 24th,1909, that Joan was beatified by Pope Pius X. And finally, on March 18th 1919, in the Vatican Hall of the Consistory, thirteen Cardinals and twenty-two Consultors recorded their placet to Joan’s canonization and Pope Benedict XV asked for prayers that his decision might be enlightened by the Holy Ghost. This decision was announced by His Holiness on March 26th to be in the affirmative. As an inevitable sequel the canonization of Joan was assured.